Turku offers a wide range of housing options for students near the campuses and the centre. The price of housing is more student-friendly than in many other cities in Finland. However, you should begin your search well in advance. The beginning of the academic year is the busiest time, while most apartments become available in spring.
Where to find an apartment
To get your apartment hunting started, here is a list of organizations and companies that provide housing.
- The Student Village Foundation of Turku (TYS) has over 7,000 housing units in 19 different locations around the city. Unlike other large student cities, you can apply for student housing in Turku before you have been accepted to study. The majority of the apartments are located in Turku’s Student Village, close to the University of Turku near the River Aura’s fantastic outdoor exercising opportunities. Turku Market Square is two kilometres away, the campuses less than one.
The Retrodorm is an exchange student accommodation campus situated in an excellent location, just two kilometers from the city center and two to three kilometers from the university buildings.
Other options & tips
- It can be challenging to find housing for a short period of time on the private rental markets. You can however take a look at websites or a rental apartment in the private sector.
- Tips for finding an accommodation, collected by Student Union of the University of Turku on and ESN Turku.
Cost of living
- Financial Matters and living costs, collected by University of Turku
- Student discounts: by joining your local student union, you get a student card which brings you many discounts in student restaurants and public transportation, along with many other places.